So you are planning a vacation to Disney World in October 2015? October is my favorite time of year to visit Walt Disney World. The weather is beautiful, the parks are adorned with fall decorations, and the crowd levels are low.
The weather in Disney World during October is mild and mostly dry. The average high is about 84 degrees, the average low is about 66 degrees and the average rainfall is about 2.52 inches. The evenings can get a little chilly, so be sure to pack a few of your favorite Disney hoodies!
The crowds in October are fairly low as kids are back in school. Several school districts throughout the US have a short fall break during October that causes the crowd levels to rise slightly mid month.
October 1 – October 3 – Average Crowd Level 2.0 out of 10
October 4 – October 10 – Average Crowd Level 4.1 out of 10
October 11 – October 17 – Average Crowd Level 4.4 out of 10
October 18 – October 24 – Average Crowd Level 4.4 out of 10
October 25 – October 31 – Average Crowd Level 2.7 out of 10
- Magic Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 10pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Epcot: Open from 9am – 9pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Hollywood Studios: Open most days from 9am – 7pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Animal Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 6pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
For specific hours on each day during October, please click this link. Remember that park hours are subject to change and are often adjusted two weeks prior.
On select nights in October, Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is held at Magic Kingdom. This party is a lively, light-hearted, family friendly event. There are special parades, exciting dance parties, stunning fireworks and tons of trick-or-treating stations filled with candy for everyone! Adults and children alike really get into the spirit of the event by dressing in costume, trick-or-treating and dancing the night away with all of the characters. For more information including fun facts, pricing and dates, please click here.
One of the best things about visiting Disney World in October is the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. This fabulous celebration features more than 25 food and beverage marketplaces scattered around World Showcase, signature dining experiences, food and beverage demonstrations, and music concerts. The first details for the 2015 event have been released; please click here for more information.
Periodically throughout the year, Disney closes attractions for refurbishments and enhancements. Here are the scheduled closures during October (subject to change without notice):
- Diamond Horseshoe: August 2 – November 19, 2015
- Liberty Tree Tavern: July 6 – November 20, 2015
- Walt Disney World Railroad: October 12 – November 20, 2015
- Frozen Ever After: October 5 – May 1, 2016
- Catalina Eddie’s: October 11 – November 19, 2015
- Jedi Training Academy: October 5 – November 30, 2015
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular: October 20 – October 22, 2015
- Rosie’s All-American Café: October 11 – November 19, 2015
- Star Wars Land: Opening TBD
- Toy Story Land: Opening TBD
- Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream (Finale Only): October 16 – December 5, 2015
- Flights of Wonder: October 5 – November 5, 2015
- Pandora – The World of AVATAR: Opening TBD
- Pizzafari: August 23 – November 14, 2015
- Primevil Whirl: August 17 – November 12, 2015
- Rivers of Light: Opening in 2016
- Blizzard Beach: Park Closed October 4 – January 2, 2016
- Downtown Disney is undergoing a major transformation to become the reimagined Disney Springs. Construction will be finished in phases with the final completion date set for Fall 2016.
- All Star Sports: Grand Slam Pool October 26 – December 18, 2015
- Boardwalk Inn: Exterior Painting August 17, 2015 – May 5, 2016
- Caribbean Beach Resort: Bridges Connecting Aruba and Jamaica to Old Port Royale October – November 27, 2015
- Coronado Springs Resort: Fitness Center, Salon, Casitas Leisure Pool July 5 – October 12, 2015
- Polynesian Resort: Polynesian East Pool To Be Completed In 2016
- Walt Disney World Swan: Ongoing Guest Room Refurbishments To Be Completed In 2015
- Wilderness Lodge: Hidden Springs Quiet Pool, Resort Beach, Playground and Fire Pit October 26, 2015 – 2017
If you are traveling to Disney World in October 2015, your planning is probably well under way at this point. Here’s a checklist to make sure you are on track:
- Make sure you have created your My Disney Experience account. If you haven’t, click here to sign up now.
- If you haven’t already made your dining reservations, be sure to make them now by clicking here.
- If you are staying on site, be sure to customize your MagicBand on your My Disney Experience account by picking the color and adding your name. And if you really want to make your MagicBand special, personalize it with your own custom designed MagicBand Skin from Magic YOUR Band. Click here to get started!
- Now is a great time to research what attractions you and your family would like to see at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Because Walt Disney World is so large, it is very difficult to see everything during one trip, so be sure to get everyone’s top priorities. This is also a great time to begin looking at menus for counter service restaurants so that you have an idea of which locations serve foods that your entire family will enjoy.
- Whether you are staying on site or off-property, be sure to purchase your admission tickets and link them to your My Disney Experience account.
- Once your tickets are linked and at exactly 60 days in advance of your check in date (midnight EST time) if you are staying on site or 30 days in advance for all other guests, login to your My Disney Experience account and book your Fastpass+ reservations.
- If you are staying on site, be sure to check in online at 60 days out from your arrival date.
- Double check your flight times and if you will be using Disney’s Magical Express for your airport transportation make your reservation at least 60 days in advance by clicking here.
- It’s never too early to start creating a packing list so that you don’t forget anything.
- Need more help planning? Please check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation, ask a question in the comments section, or take a look at the Planning section here.
If you haven’t already made your October 2015 reservations, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save money:
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here for more information!
Join The Fun
Disney Vacation Planner Jennifer Hardy and I have teamed up to create a new Facebook Group called Next Disney Vacation! It is the perfect place to talk about your next Disney vacation, ask your questions, get them answered, and share the magic. Everyday you’ll find posts, photos, trivia, tips, and more that we find all throughout the Disney Universe. If you’re counting the days until your next Disney vacation, we would love to have you join in the fun! Please click here to be a part of our group!