Star Wars fans received thrilling news this weekend during the D23 Expo when Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced the ambitious plans Disney has in the works to add even more Star Wars to the parks. Here’s the scoop on what we have learned so far:
Plans to bring Star Wars to life include creating Disney’s largest single themed land expansion ever at 14 acres, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.
Along with retail and dining, this land will include two signature attractions. The first will be an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climatic battle between the First Order and the Resistance. The second attraction will put guests behind the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, as they take on a customized secret mission.
And if the incredible new land wasn’t enough, Disney also announced several new Star Wars experiences and enhancements being added to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, many of which will be opening relatively soon.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Later this year, Star Tours will include a new adventure featuring locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, giving guests a new adventure in the Star Wars galaxy.
- Star Wars Launch Bay – This interactive experience will take guests into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with new and favorite Star Wars characters, special merchandise and food offerings. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and will be available for guests later this year.
- Jedi Training Academy— A favorite of younger fans is reimagined with a new experience that includes new characters and a new villain to battle from the popular Disney X D series “Star Wars Rebels.”
- Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new Star Wars experiences to guests. At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will close out weekend nights with a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies.
No timeline has been released yet for the new Star Wars Land, but it is probably safe to expect about 3 to 5 years of construction before it is complete. In the meantime, it looks like Disney will be giving us a few things along the way to keep the excitement growing!
Heading to Disney World soon?
If you are planning a vacation to Disney World, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save time and money:
- Check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation for secret insider tips and tricks that you won’t find anywhere else!
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here for more information!