So you are planning a vacation to Disney World in August 2015? August is an exciting time of year to visit Walt Disney World. The temperatures are still hot, the Parks continue to be open late, but the crowds drop dramatically mid-month.
The weather in Disney World during August is hot and rainy. The average high is about 92 degrees, the average low is about 73 degrees and the average rainfall is about 7.71 inches. You can expect some rain most afternoons or evenings, so be sure to bring your poncho!
The crowds in August are high during the first half of the month as families try to squeeze in a last minute vacation before the kids head back to school. Beginning in mid August, look for the crowd levels to drop dramatically.
August 1 – Average Crowd Level 7.0 out of 10
August 2 – August 8 – Average Crowd Level 7.7 out of 10
August 9 – August 15 – Average Crowd Level 6.7 out of 10
August 16 – August 22 – Average Crowd Level 6.0 out of 10
August 23 – August 29 – Average Crowd Level 3.6 out of 10
August 30 – August 31 – Average Crowd Level 4.0 out of 10
The Parks continue to have long hours to wrap up the busy summer season.
- Magic Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 10pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Epcot: Open from 9am – 9pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Hollywood Studios: Open most days from 9am – 8:30pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Animal Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 5pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
For specific hours on each day during August, please click this link. Remember that park hours are subject to change and are often adjusted two weeks prior.
There are currently no special events scheduled for August in Disney World. Check back often as I will update this post if anything new is announced.
Periodically throughout the year, Disney closes attractions for refurbishments and enhancements. Here are the scheduled closures during August (subject to change without notice):
- Diamond Horseshoe: August 2 – November 19, 2015
- Dream Along With Mickey: July 19 – August 22, 2015
- Liberty Square Riverboat: August 4 – August 10, 2015
- Liberty Tree Tavern: July 6 – November 20, 2015
- Mad Tea Party: August 26, 2015
- Pirates of the Caribbean: May 11 – September 25, 2015
- Frozen Ever After: October 5 – May 1, 2016
- No refurbishments currently scheduled
- Pizzafari: August 23 – October 19, 2015
- Primevil Whirl: August 17 – November 12, 2015
- No refurbishments currently scheduled
- Downtown Disney is undergoing a major transformation to become the reimagined Disney Springs. Construction will be finished in phases with the final completion date set for Fall 2016.
- Beach Club Resort: Ongoing Guest Room Refurbishments To Be Completed In 2015
- Coronado Springs Resort: Fitness Center, Salon, Casitas Leisure Pool July 5 – October 12, 2015
- Grand Floridian Resort: Gasparilla Island Grill August 23 – September 4, 2015
- Polynesian Village Resort: Ongoing Polynesian East Pool Refurbishment To Be Completed In 2016
- Walt Disney World Swan: Ongoing Guest Room Refurbishments To Be Completed In 2016
If you are traveling to Disney World in August 2015, your planning is probably well under way at this point. Here’s a checklist to make sure you are on track:
- Make sure you have created your My Disney Experience account. If you haven’t, click here to sign up now.
- Get prepared to make your advanced dining reservations (ADRs) at exactly 180 days in advance of your check-in date beginning at 6am EST. You can book your ADRs by clicking here.
- If you are staying onsite, be sure to customize your MagicBand on your My Disney Experience account by picking the color and adding your name.
- Now is a great time to research what attractions you and your family would like to see at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Because Walt Disney World is so large, it is very difficult to see everything during one trip, so be sure to get everyone’s top priorities. This is also a great time to begin looking at menus for counter service restaurants so that you have an idea of which locations serve foods that your entire family will enjoy. Need help with your research? Check out my book A Tale of Two Resorts which includes descriptions and tips for every attraction and helpful dining information for every restaurant from snack stand to table service including specifics about atmosphere, cuisine type, dress code and even menu selections including the kid’s meals that are offered. Click here for more information including an excerpt.
- Whether you are staying onsite or off-property, be sure to purchase your admission tickets and link them to your My Disney Experience account.
- Once your tickets are linked and at exactly 60 days in advance of your check in date (midnight EST time) if you are staying onsite or 30 days in advance for all other guests, login to your My Disney Experience account and book your Fastpass+ reservations.
- If you are staying onsite, be sure to check in online at 60 days out from your arrival date.
- Double check your flight times and if you will be using Disney’s Magical Express for your airport transportation make your reservation at least 60 days in advance by clicking here.
- It’s never too early to start creating a packing list so that you don’t forget anything.
- Need more help planning? Please check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation, ask a question in the comments section, or take a look at the Planning section here.
If you haven’t already made your August 2015 reservations, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save money:
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here for more information!
Join The Fun
Disney Vacation Planner Jennifer Hardy and I have teamed up to create a new Facebook Group called Next Disney Vacation! It is the perfect place to talk about your next Disney vacation, ask your questions, get them answered, and share the magic. Everyday you’ll find posts, photos, trivia, tips, and more that we find all throughout the Disney Universe. If you’re counting the days until your next Disney vacation, we would love to have you join in the fun! Please click here to be a part of our group!