So you are planning a vacation to Disney World in May 2015? May is a wonderful time of year to visit Walt Disney World. The temperatures are warm, the flowers are blooming and the crowds are light.
The weather in Disney World during May is beautiful. The average high is about 89 degrees, the average low is about 65 degrees and the average rainfall is only about 3.1 inches. By traveling in May, you are getting your vacation in just before the rainy season begins. But don’t forget to pack your poncho just in case!
The crowds throughout the month of May are nice and moderate. You can anticipate crowds to begin to pick up Memorial Day weekend and beyond.
May 1 – May 2 – Average Crowd Level 5.5 out of 10
May 3 – May 9 – Average Crowd Level 4.9 out of 10
May 10 – May 16 – Average Crowd Level 4.6 out of 10
May 17 – May 23 – Average Crowd Level 5.0 out of 10
May 24 – May 31 – Average Crowd Level 6.0 out of 10
- Magic Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 11pm or 12am (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Epcot: Open from 9am – 9pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Hollywood Studios: Open most days from 9am – 8:30pm or 10:00pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
- Animal Kingdom: Open most days from 9am – 6pm or 7pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
For specific hours on each day during May, please click this link. Remember that park hours are subject to change and are often adjusted two weeks prior.
On May 1 and 2, Disney World is hosting the runDisney event – Expedition Everest Challenge for the final time. This 5K race is held at night at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and includes an obstacle course and scavenger hunt. Sorry to say if you haven’t already registered, this race is sold out. However, there are currently tickets still available for the after party – please check this link for the most up-to-date availability. Because this run and after party are held at night (from 10pm – 2:30am), they should not have a big impact on daytime touring.
A terrific part about visiting Disney World in May is the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. This year the event will run from March 4 – May 17 and features over 100 topiaries, interesting gardening demonstrations, beautiful flowers, weekend music concerts and several outdoor kitchens serving delicious foods and beverages. For more information about the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, please check out this article.
Also beginning on May 15 and running weekends through June 14 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios are Star Wars Weekends. This event is huge with fans of the franchise and includes dining experiences, themed treats, special shows, parades, presentations, autograph sessions, and chances to meet the characters and celebrities. For more information and to watch a hilarious video featuring a Star Wars Darth Vader cupcake destroying a bakery, please check out this article.
Memorial Day weekend is the traditional start of family vacation time, and Walt Disney World Resort will launch into the season full force. The Magic Kingdom will be open 24 hours to guests from 6am to 6am, Friday May 22 to Saturday, May 23. Guests will be invited to come in costume to show their Disney Side while a selection of favorite attractions, entertainment, special event merchandise, plus food and beverage are on tap all night long to celebrate the start of the “Coolest Summer Ever” at Walt Disney World Resort. The around-the-clock celebration features Disney character greetings, dance parties and surprises into the wee hours of the night.
Periodically throughout the year, Disney closes attractions for refurbishments and enhancements. Here are the scheduled closures during May (subject to change without notice):
- Jungle Cruise: April 13 – May 8, 2015
- Maelstrom and Spirit of Norway Film: Ongoing – Reopening in 2016 Reimagined as a New Frozen Attraction
- No refurbishments currently scheduled
- Creature Comforts: Reopening June 2015 as the New Starbucks Location
- Flame Tree BBQ: January 5 – June 3, 2015
- TriceraTop Spin: May 11 – May 23, 2015
- No refurbishments currently scheduled
- Downtown Disney is undergoing a major transformation to become the reimagined Disney Springs. Construction will be finished in phases with the final completion date set for Fall 2016.
- Art of Animation: Finding Nemo Schoolyard Wet Play Area May 26 – June 29, 2015
- Beach Club Resort: Ongoing Guest Room Refurbishments To Be Completed In 2015
- Polynesian Resort: Ongoing Polynesian East Pool Refurbishment To Be Completed In 2016
- Walt Disney World Swan: Ongoing Guest Room Refurbishments To Be Completed In 2016
- Make sure you have created your My Disney Experience account. If you haven’t, click here to sign up now.
- If you haven’t already made your dining reservations, be sure to make them now by clicking here.
- If you are staying onsite, be sure to customize your Magicband on your My Disney Experience account by picking the color and adding your name.
- Now is a great time to research what attractions you and your family would like to see at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Because Walt Disney World is so large, it is very difficult to see everything during one trip, so be sure to get everyone’s top priorities. This is also a great time to begin looking at menus for counter service restaurants so that you have an idea of which locations serve foods that your entire family will enjoy. Need help with your research? Check out my book “A Tale of Two Resorts” which includes descriptions and tips for every attraction and helpful dining information for every restaurant from snack stand to table service including specifics about atmosphere, cuisine type, dress code and even menu selections including the kid’s meals that are offered. Click here for more information including an excerpt.
- Whether you are staying onsite or off-property, now is the time to purchase your admission tickets and link them to your My Disney Experience account.
- Once your tickets are linked and at exactly 60 days out (midnight EST time) if you are staying onsite or 30 days out for all other guests, login to your My Disney Experience account and book your Fastpass+ reservations.
- If you are staying onsite, be sure to check in online at 60 days out from your arrival date.
- Double check your flight times and if you will be using Disney’s Magical Express for your airport transportation make your reservation now by clicking here.
- Now is also a great time to start creating a packing list so that you don’t forget anything.
- Need more help planning? Please check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation, ask a question in the comments section, or take a look at the Planning section here.
If you haven’t already made your May 2015 reservations, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save money:
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here for more information!
Join The Fun
Disney Vacation Planner Jennifer Hardy and I have teamed up to create a new Facebook Group called Next Disney Vacation! It is the perfect place to talk about your next Disney vacation, ask your questions, get them answered, and share the magic. Everyday you’ll find posts, photos, trivia, tips, and more that we find all throughout the Disney Universe. If your counting the days until your next Disney vacation, we would love to have you join in the fun! Please click here to be a part of our group!