So you are planning a vacation to Disney World in January 2016?
January is a wonderful time to visit Walt Disney World!
The weather in Disney World during January can get chilly. The average high is about 71 degrees, the average low is about 47 degrees, and the average rainfall is about 2.91 inches. This is the coldest month of the year by far, and it can sometimes drop to freezing or just below. Be sure to pack accordingly!
The crowds in January vary from moderate to extreme. New Year’s Day is extreme, Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend and Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend the crowds are high, and during the rest of the month the crowds are fairly moderate.
January 1 – January 2
Average Crowd Level 10 out of 10
January 3 – January 9
Average Crowd Level 6.6 out of 10
January 10 – January 16
Average Crowd Level 4.3 out of 10
January 17 – January 23
Average Crowd Level 5.3 out of 10
January 24 – January 31
Average Crowd Level 5.0 out of 10
Open most days from 9am – 8pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
Open most days from 9am – 9pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
Open most days from 9am – 7pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
Open most days from 9am – 5pm (plus Extra Magic Hours)
For specific hours on each day during January, please click this link. Remember that park hours are subject to change and are often adjusted two weeks prior.
If you’ll be visiting Disney World for the ringing in of 2016 there are plenty of fun-filled options available to celebrate the holiday including special entertainment and dining. For more information about celebrating New Year’s in Walt Disney World, please click here.
From January 6 – 10, 2016, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend will be held. This fantastic annual event includes kids races, a 5K, a 10K, a pasta party, a special breakfast, a half marathon, a health and fitness expo, and a cool down party, in addition to the full marathon through all four theme parks. For more information about Marathon Weekend, please visit runDisney by clicking here.
Periodically throughout the year, Disney closes attractions for refurbishments and enhancements. Here are the currently scheduled closures during January (subject to change without notice):
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: January 18 – February 11, 2016
Liberty Square Riverboat: January 18 – 22, 2016
Magic Carpets of Aladdin: January 25 – February 3, 2016
Space Mountain: January 11 – January 15, 2016
Splash Mountain: January 10 – January 14, 2016
Flights of Wonder: January 25 – March 17, 2016
Kali River Rapids: January 4 – February 11, 2016
Maharaja Jungle Trek: January 4 – January 21, 2016
Pandora – The World of AVATAR: Opening TBD
Rivers of Light: Opening in 2016
Blizzard Beach: Park Closed October 4 – January 3, 2016
Typhoon Lagoon: Park Closed January 4 – March 12, 2016
Fulton’s Crab House: January 1 – April 1, 2016
Planet Hollywood: January 1 – June 1, 2016
All Star Sports: Surfboard Bay Pool January 25 – 28, 2016
Animal Kingdom Lodge: Kilimanjaro Lounge January 11 – February 5, 2016
Art of Animation: Schoolyard Sprayground January 1 – March 11, 2016
Boardwalk Inn: Luna Park Pool January 11 – February 2, 2016
Caribbean Beach Resort: Jamaica Pool January 6 – 8, 2016, Martinique Quiet Pool January 11 – 13, 2016, Fuentes del Morro Pool January 13 – 16, 2016, Trinidad North Quiet Pool January 27 – 29, 2016
Grand Floridian Resort: Courtyard Pool January 16 – 19, 2016
Old Key West: Sandcastle Pool January 4 – 6, 2016
Polynesian Village Resort: Polynesian East Pool To Be Completed In 2016
Port Orleans Riverside: Ol’ Man Island Pool January 11 – February 29, 2016
Saratoga Springs Resort: Grandstand Pool January 20 – 22, 2016
Walt Disney World Dolphin: Guest Room Refurbishments 2016 – 2017
Wilderness Lodge: Hidden Springs Quiet Pool, Resort Beach, Playground, and Fire Pit To Be Completed In 2017
If you are traveling to Disney World in January 2016, your planning is probably well under way at this point. Here’s a checklist to make sure you are on track:
- Make sure you have created your My Disney Experience account. If you haven’t, click here to sign up now.
- If you haven’t already made your dining reservations, be sure to make them now by clicking here.
- If you are staying on site, be sure to customize your MagicBand on your My Disney Experience account by picking the color and adding your name. And if you really want to make your MagicBand special, personalize it with your own custom designed MagicBand Skin from Magic YOUR Band. Click here to get started!
- Now is a great time to research what attractions you and your family would like to see at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Because Walt Disney World is so large, it is very difficult to see everything during one trip, so be sure to get everyone’s top priorities. This is also a great time to begin looking at menus for counter service restaurants so that you have an idea of which locations serve foods that your entire family will enjoy.
- Whether you are staying on site or off-property, be sure to purchase your admission tickets and link them to your My Disney Experience account.
- Once your tickets are linked and at exactly 60 days in advance of your check in date (midnight EST time) if you are staying on site or 30 days in advance for all other guests, login to your My Disney Experience account and book your Fastpass+ reservations.
- If you are staying on site, be sure to check in online at 60 days out from your arrival date.
- Double check your flight times and if you will be using Disney’s Magical Express for your airport transportation make your reservation at least 60 days in advance by clicking here.
- It’s never too early to start creating a packing list so that you don’t forget anything.
- Need more help planning? Please check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation, for hundreds of insider tips and secrets for having the most magical Disney World vacation possible!
If you haven’t already made your January 2016 reservations, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save money:
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here for more information!
Join The Fun
Disney Vacation Planner Jennifer Hardy and I have teamed up to create a new Facebook Group called Next Disney Vacation! It is the perfect place to talk about your next Disney vacation, ask your questions, get them answered, and share the magic. Everyday you’ll find posts, photos, trivia, tips, and more that we find all throughout the Disney Universe. If you’re counting the days until your next Disney vacation or just dreaming of one, we would love to have you join in the fun! Please click here to be a part of our group!