After years of waiting, the highly anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has finally opened at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World. Disney has been slowly releasing information about the new land over the last few months and now we have some fun facts and trivia to enjoy courtesy of Disney:
From an authentic Star Wars cantina on the Outer Rim of the galaxy to exotic creatures, military encampments and daring missions aboard the Millennium Falcon, guests will find plenty of stories to explore as they live their own adventures inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
By the Numbers
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge spans more than 14 acres, making it the largest single-themed land expansion in Disney Parks history.
- More than a dozen venues fill the land, including Resistance and First Order encampments, a spaceport and a bustling marketplace.
- Two attractions will entice guests to live their own Star Wars adventures – Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
- The Millennium Falcon docked in the Black Spire Outpost Spaceport measures more than 100 feet long.
- Among the ancient-looking spires across the lands, the tallest is more than 130 feet high.
- The land was created with more than 200,000 square feet of rock work and approximately 260,000 square feet of themed plaster.
- More than 7,000 props were created for the land.
- Nine different retail locations in the land offer nearly 700 unique items, ideal for those looking to take a memory of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge home with them.
- There are more than 120,000 possible combinations for constructing a lightsaber using all the available pieces in Savi’s Workshop – Hand built Lightsabers.
- There are nearly 280,000 possible combinations for constructing an R-series or BB-series astromech droid using all the available pieces in the Droid Depot.
- Five locations within Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge offer guests a chance to purchase food and beverages. The land’s menus feature more than 50 distinct, out-of-this-world items.
Did You Know?
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge marks the first time a full-size, 100% complete Millennium Falcon has ever been built.
- The chess-type game played on the table in the Millennium Falcon main hold and lounge is called Dejarik; guests can sit at the table inside Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, and the game is available for purchase in the Toydarian Toymaker marketplace stall.
- At Black Spire Outpost, the droid in charge of music at the local watering hole, Oga’s Cantina, is DJ R-3X, the former Starspeeder 3000 pilot from Star Tours.
- For the soundtrack inside Oga’s Cantina, Walt Disney Imagineering commissioned musicians and composers from around the world to craft original music for a galactic playlist.
- Kowakian Monkey-Lizards and Porgs are among the “critters” guests will find at the Creature Stall in the marketplace. These are just a few of the many items guests may purchase during their visit.
- Academy Award-winning® composer John Williams created an all-new suite of themes written especially for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its attractions.
- The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. In 2012.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has been in development since 2014.
- Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced Star Wars-themed lands would open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios while at the D23 Expo on Aug. 15, 2015.
- Construction in Disney’s Hollywood Studios began in April 2016.
- To operate the land, 1,700 new jobs were created for Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- In addition, jobs were created due to the support of both small and large Florida-based companies contributing more than 5,500 local trade, artisan and construction roles to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
If you’re going to be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios during the opening weeks of Star Wars: Galaxy’s edge, I hope to see you there!
Heading to Disney World soon?
If you are planning a vacation to Disney World, be sure to check out these valuable resources to help you save time and money:
- Check out my UPDATED book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation for secret insider tips and tricks that you won’t find anywhere else!
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!