In honor of Thanksgiving this week, I thought this would be the perfect time to pay tribute to the famous Disney turkey leg. These Flintstone-like hunks of meat are a fan favorite and even a rite of passage for many park-goers. The Disney turkey leg has such a loyal fan base that Disney even offers turkey leg merchandise such as t-shirts, pins, air fresheners (That’s right folks, you can make your car smell like a turkey leg!), magnets and more. Here’s a little turkey leg trivia for you:
- The Disney turkey leg made its debut in the late 1980’s at a kiosk in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom.
- More than 1.8 million pounds of turkey drumsticks are consumed every year in Disney World’s four theme parks – Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Each drumstick weighs about 1.5 pounds.
- Despite the persistent rumors that these are emu legs, the drumsticks do in fact come from male turkeys that generally weigh 50 pounds or more.
- Each turkey leg is approximately 720 calories with about 36 grams of fat.
- The turkey legs range in price from $10 – $13 depending on the location and if it comes with a side dish.
If you are going to be in Disney World for Thanksgiving (or anytime) and want to try one of these enormous drumsticks, they can be found at:
- Flame Tree Barbecue at Animal Kingdom
- Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner at Hollywood Studios
- Fairfax Fare at Hollywood Studios
- Toluca Legs Turkey Co. at Hollywood Studios
- Fife & Drum Tavern at Epcot
- Turkey Leg Cart in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom
- Turkey Leg Cart in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom
- Avalunch at Blizzard Beach
- Surf Doggies at Typhoon Lagoon
Anyone hungry for turkey now? Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
What do you think of Disney turkey legs? Love ’em or hate ’em? Please leave a comment!
Making a trip to Disneyland, Disney World or both? Need help planning your dining? If so, please check out my book, A Tale of Two Resorts: Comparing Disneyland and Disney World. This reference guide offers a complete listing of every dining location from table service to snack stand available at both resorts plus helpful information about each and every dining spot such as location, atmosphere, cuisine type, meals served, dress code, menu selections, kid’s meal options and more.
Available from Amazon!