Welcome to the June 2015 edition of Disney World Reality vs. Rumor where we’ll take a look at the stories that are currently circulating to see which ones are confirmed and which ones are purely speculation.
Disney World Reality
- It has been confirmed that the former Walt Disney World Speedway site will be repurposed to expand the Magic Kingdom parking lot.
- Disney has announced more new additions to Disney Springs including two new restaurants The Edison and STK Orlando.
- Disney recently unveiled plans to add a new location to Disney Springs called the “NBA Experience”. The plans include a retail store, restaurant, and interactive activities.
- The Orlando Sentinel confirmed this week that Disney has filed plans to build 26 new cabins along the shore of Bay Lake in addition to a boardwalk, bar grill, and pool at its Wilderness Lodge Resort. These cabins are expected to be similar to the new bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.
- Work is well under way on the additional Soarin’ theatre. It has been confirmed that the attraction will also receive a redesigned and themed queue that will make use of some of the old Kitchen Kabaret space.
- Disney has filed plans to build a new theatre between Rock ‘n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror at the end of Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood Studios.
Disney World Rumor
- Rumors abound that DisneyQuest will be closed and replaced by the new “NBA Experience” in Disney Springs.
- Speaking of closing places; a new rumor says that Bongos in Downtown Disney may be closing soon to make way for a new Mexican restaurant operated by Splitsville.
- Some people are speculating that Hollywood Studios may be reimagined with an adventure and heroes theme to better encompass the existing attractions plus Star Wars and Marvel.
- It is being reported that the Magic of Disney Animation at Hollywood Studios will soon undergo a refurbishment that would expand the Animation Academy.
- Rumors are flying about the complete redesign of Hollywood Studios. The latest is that in addition to a Star Wars Land, a new Toy Story/Pixar themed land may be in the works to take over the long closed Backlot Tour attraction space. There are said to be three attractions planned for the area including a Toy Story themed car ride similar to the one replacing Luigi’s Flying Tires at Disney’s California Adventure.
- There are rumors that Animal Kingdom may be adding a new interactive camel experience to the park. Word on the street is that said camels are currently being walked through the park at night to get them acclimated to the surroundings.
- Recently travel agents received their Disney World operations schedule for January 2016 and it did not show any Extra Magic Hours listed for any of the parks. Rumors are flying that this could mean an end to one of the best perks of being an on-site guest. Another take is that Disney may be considering adjusting the schedule like they did back in 2013 when they reduced the nighttime Extra Magic Hours from three to two. Sources think they may reduce the number of days each week that the Extra Magic Hours are available or only have them offered at one park per day. Here’s hoping this rumor is NOT true!
- Another rumor that I would hate to see become a reality is the new admission ticket scenario. Disney recently sent out a survey to guests to get feedback on offering tiered-ticket prices based on seasons and days of the week similar to the way their hotel rooms are currently priced. In other words, if you plan to visit Disney World for the winter holidays, you’ll need a second mortgage or to sell a kidney!
Look for another edition of Disney World Reality vs. Rumor in August 2015!
Remember I’ll be joining the Behind The Magic Podcast beginning on Friday, July 3 and every Friday after that as the resident Disney “Gossip Girl” dishing on all of the latest dirt on my weekly “Mouse Whispers” segment. Please check us out here!
Heading to Disney World soon?
- Check out my new book 501 Ways to Make the Most of Your Walt Disney World Vacation for secret insider tips and tricks that you won’t find anywhere else!
- View the latest Disney World discounts currently available!
- Guarantee the best vacation price by clicking here!