Welcome to the February 2015 edition of Disney World Reality vs. Rumor where we’ll take a look at the stories that are currently circulating to see which ones are confirmed and which ones are purely speculation.
Disney World Reality
- It has been confirmed that Disney World ticket prices will be increasing this month. Sources say a single day Magic Kingdom ticket will exceed $100.
- It has been confirmed that the Creature Comforts location in Animal Kingdom will reopen this summer as a Starbucks.
- It has been confirmed that Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom will start accepting advance dining reservations for lunch beginning February 25.
- It has been confirmed that the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurbishment has been moved to April.
- It has been confirmed that the Richard Petty Driving Experience and Exotic Driving Experience will be closing this summer as well as the entire race track will be demolished to make way for future transportation improvements near Magic Kingdom.
- It has been confirmed that the Tomorrowland Arcade in Magic Kingdom has closed due to changes in Florida law. All prize counters and claw-like games have also been removed from the arcades throughout Disney World.
- Disney World confirmed that it has pulled the Epcot coffee mug, part of Starbucks’ “You Are Here” collection, because it included a purple-colored monorail train. Disney retired Monorail Purple after its involvement in a deadly crash in 2009.
- It was confirmed that Disney filed paperwork to build a new “Frozen” meet and greet that will take up the space between the Mexico and Norway pavilions.
- It has been confirmed that the Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios will soon see a much need update thanks to a new deal with Turner Classic Movies.
- It has been confirmed by Disney Parks CEO Bob Iger during an interview with Bloomberg Television that there will be a lot more Star Wars in Disney Parks in the near future.
- It has been announced by Disney that the following shops will be coming to Disney Springs: APEX, Art of Shaving, Chapel Hats, Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC, Havaianas, Sanuk, and Sound Lion.
Disney World Rumor
- It is rumored that Disney is currently testing LCD displays at select resort bus stops that will display the estimated wait time until a particular bus should arrive.
- There are many rumors that the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in Magic Kingdom will undergo a lengthy refurbishment later this year to deal with the last row in the new boats taking on water, safety concerns after a guest seated in the back row lost a finger, and general maintenance.
- Permits were recently filed spurring speculation that a new restaurant will be built in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom. Rumors are that its theme will tie into the Jungle Cruise.
- It is being speculated that a third theatre is being added to Soarin’ to help accommodate the crowds.
- There are also rumors that a new Soarin’ movie is being filmed that will replace the current film and will highlight well-known landmarks from around the world.
- It is being speculated that a new country pavilion may be added to World Showcase. The most popular country being talked about is Brazil.
- There are rumors that Echo Lake, Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner, and Gertie the Dinosaur will be removed this spring to make way for a Star Wars themed land in Hollywood Studios.
- It is rumored that a third track is being added to Toy Story Mania to help accommodate the crowds.
- There are rumors that a Pixar Place/Toy Story Land may be built in Hollywood Studios using part of the space made available with the closing of the Backlot Tour.
Look for another edition of Disney World Reality vs. Rumor in April 2015!
Are you excited about any of these changes – real or rumored? Please leave a comment!